AYURVEDA , ANXIETY and Recomendations by Dr.Vikas Nagi (ayurvedacharya)
Anxiety is the comprehensive term used for psychosomatic disorders which are characterized by excessive worrying, unnatural fears, excessive nervousness and uneasiness.Anxietyis becoming much common in younger age groups now a days, especially younger men and women from multi-national companies and other industrial groups.
Anxiety is involved in most of the diseases and works as a cause for all these diseases. So, if we have ability to control the anxiety, we can almost control most of the diseases. This is the basic thought through which we can achieve “Complete Health”.
The most common symptoms of anxiety are fast pulse, excess sweating, Heart palpitations, headache, INSOMNIA, restlessness, breathlessness, nervousness, imaginary fear, hyperactivity, difficulty in concentration, confusions and tendency to be irritable without an obvious cause.
According to “Ayurveda” Anxiety or manovaha strota vyadhi is caused as a result of vikriti of manovaha strota due to aggravation or vitiated Prana Vata, which weakens the Central Nervous System and triggers the psychological imbalance. It also affects the Neuro-Hormonal functions. The root causes for anxiety are improper diet and life style that leads the distressed state of mind causes the negative feelings.
Ayurveda recommends a holistic approach to manage and heal it through diet, classical herbal medicines and yoga along with meditation.
Diet Recommended for Anxiety:-
Lord of Ayurveda,Dhanvantari (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
• Eat a healthy, whole foods diet with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. All fruits & vegetables have Magnesium, which is essential for managing the blood pressure and psychological health.
• Keep away from processed foods and eat more natural products, these will lift your moods and calm anxiety.
• Foods to avoid: Fizzy drinks, Tea, Coffee, processed food, White bread, Chips, Pastry, Cakes, Caffeine, Sugar, Alcohol, Chocolate, Cheese, Fast Food.
• Pickles, yoghurt and other acid forming foods are not good for you.
• Minimize consumption of spices. Your food should be calming in nature not too much exciting.
Lifestyle Recommended for Anxiety:-
• Good sleep:. A proper sleep relaxes both body and the mind. It improves your mood and recovers the ability of mind to deal with daily stress.
• Take a break from routine work and spend some time with your friends and relatives. It works as a great anxiety barrier.
• Listen calm music: Listening calm music decrease blood pressure, heart rate, and anxiety levels.
Ayurvedic Herbs Recommended for Anxiety:
Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricalus),
Mandukaparni (Centella asiatica),
Brahmi (Bacopa monniera)
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera),
Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
are examples of herbs which are effectively used in Classical Ayurvedic Medicines or as home remedy in anxiety.
Yoga Recommended for Anxiety:
Vajra – asana,